This Summer’s Camp ArtyFact Has New Classes and an Extra Week
(This article is from 2018. To see our current camp listings visit: https://history.ky.gov/camps.)
The Kentucky Historical Society is expanding its summer day camp, Camp ArtyFact, to seven weeks and revamping its lineup. Camp subjects include, but by no means are limited to, art, nature, science, technology, performance, cooking and publishing—but history inspires all of them. “We are bringing back some favorite camps from last year and adding a lot of new ones, too,” said Julie Sawnor, KHS student engagement coordinator. “Project History Runway” and the “USO Show Spectacular” are back by popular demand. There will be two cooking camps this year—with a twist to incorporate challenges and games in the spirit of kids’ cooking shows on television. “Wonder Women & Super Guys,” a new camp, introduces kids to Kentucky heroes, and lets them create their own superhero personas. Also new is a board game camp where students create life-sized interactive games inspired by periods of struggle and innovation in Kentucky history. In another camp, kids will create their own digital Kentucky history-based graphic novel, and several camps focus on furry friends (horses and pets).
Camp ArtyFact In a Nutshell
- Camp ArtyFact is open to children ages 5-12.
- There are four classes per week. One morning and one afternoon for ages 5-8 and one morning and one afternoon for ages 9-12.
- Each week has a new set of classes.
- Weekly sessions run June 11 through Aug. 3. (There is no camp the week of July 4.)
- Morning classes are from 9 a.m. to noon. Afternoon classes start at 1 p.m. and end at 4 p.m.
- Extended care is available starting at 7:30 a.m. and ending at 5:30 p.m.
- Camp participants also can bring their lunches to eat at KHS.
- $75 per student for each class/$70 for Kentucky Historical Society members. $15 cancellation fee.
- Morning extended care (7:30 a.m.-9 a.m.): $10/week
- Afternoon extended care (4 p.m.-5:30 p.m.): $10/week
- Lunch care: $5/week for half-day registrants and free for full-day registrants (KHS does not provide lunch)
Registration deadline: Friday before class starts. First-come basis. Space is limited.