Eight Communities Unveil New Historical Markers
From St. James Court to Portland, the Kentucky Historical Society joined several Louisville groups in September to unveil four new historical markers that highlight Louisville’s diverse history. KHS also helped to commemorate two important Lexington entities; and highlighted 18th and 19th century history in Winchester and Stamping Grounds, respectively. The new markers are:
St. James Court / Malcolm B. Bird St. James Court developed from the vision of William H. Slaughter in the 1890s, and underwent restoration and revitalization in the 1950s. Part of that effort included Malcolm Bird’s founding of the St. James Art Show in 1957. For full text, search here for marker #2530.
Susan Look Avery / Woman’s Club of Louisville Susan Look Avery (1817-1915) founded the Woman’s Club of Louisville. Avery was a suffragist, author and orator. The Woman’s Club of Louisville dates to 1890. Among other things, it promoted woman’s suffrage, equal property rights, literacy, public health and child labor laws. It also co-founded the Louisville Deaf Oral School. For full text, search here for marker #2566.
The Good Shepherd Order The Sisters of the Good Shepherd first located in Jefferson County in 1843. Their early work included providing shelter and vocational training for marginalized and at-risk girls and women. Later, they provided a place to live for African American children. The group took the name Maryhurst in 1939. For full text, search here for marker #2567.
Louisville to Portland Turnpike Between 1818 and 1830, the Louisville to Portland plank toll road was an important connection between the two cities because the Falls of the Ohio required boats to offload freight in Louisville and reload it in Portland. For full text, search here for marker #2561.
Deweese (Dewees) St. Neighborhood / African American Business District By the late 1800s, Deweese Street was mainly an African American residential and business district. The marker talks about segregation, and commemorates some of the businesses that developed in the area, including the Lyric Theater and Sterling Barbershop. For full text, search here for marker #2652.
Kentucky Educational Television / KET, The Kentucky Network This marker commemorates KET’s 50-year history—from its first broadcast on Sept. 23, 1968, to its current status as one of the largest public television networks in the United States. For full text, search here for marker #2542.
Salt Springs Trace Salt Spring Trace, one of the first marked trails in Kentucky, began at Fort Boonesborough, crossed the Kentucky River at Blackfish Ford (site of the marker), followed a buffalo trace up Lower Howard’s Creek about four miles then turned north and continued on to the Lower Blue Licks, where the first settlers made salt and hunted buffalo. For full text, search here for marker #2559.
Historic Stamping Ground Jail The Stamping Ground jail was in use from around 1890 until the 1970s. The brick building had two cells, and survived three historic disasters: two intense fires that destroyed most city buildings, and a destructive tornado. Inmates often maintained city streets to pay off fines. For full text, search here for marker #2563. Historical markers allow communities to highlight their own stories. Markers are community driven, starting with research and an application to the Kentucky Historical Society. More information about the historical marker program is here.