2289
UK campus, White Hall Plaza, Lexington
The Agricultural and Mechanical College of Kentucky (A&M) was established in 1865 as part of the private Kentucky University. In 1878, A&M separated from Kentucky University (now Transylvania University) to become an independent public institution. Lexington donated a 52-acre park south of downtown for a new campus, which is the present site of UK. Class of 2008.
By 1880, the A&M College was commonly known as State College. A&M achieved university status in 1908 and was named State University, Lexington, Kentucky. In 1916, the legislature officially changed the name to University of Kentucky. Class of 2008.
Dedicated August 25, 2009.