Click here to enable the accessibility widget for this website (Can also be opened using the Alt+9 Key)

Issue With This Marker?

Report an Issue
County: Nelson

Spalding Hall

Marker Number: 

1897

Location: 

114 N. Fifth, Bardstown

Erected in 1826 and later named for Bishop M. J. Spalding. Until 1889, it was part of St. Joseph College, founded by Bishop B. J. Flaget. Jesuits took charge of celebrated college, 1848-1868. During Civil War, St. Joseph was a military hospital. Spalding Hall has served as college and seminary, as orphanage, and as St. Joseph Prep School directed by Xaverian Brothers from 1911-68.

Subjects: