Support Local History
A Tiny Mark – A Major Impact
It is this simple to support history organizations in Kentucky: On your state tax return, check the box designating a portion of your state income tax refund to Kentucky’s Local History Trust Fund, and indicate how much you want to give. That’s it.
Your donation goes into a grant pool, which the Kentucky Historical Society administers, that museums, libraries and local history organizations in your community can tap into to build organizational capacity and get support for programs and services.
You can apply for project funding from Kentucky’s Local History Trust Fund. Planning grants range from $290 to $1,000. Implementation grants range from $290 to $2,500. The 2018 grant cycle is closed. (The next cycle will be in 2019.) KHS will notify recipients by December, and announce them publicly in early 2019.
- Money for the Local History Trust Fund comes from people who donate when they file their Kentucky income tax returns.
- History-minded organizations in Kentucky, including those with 501c3 status, local government agencies and public libraries, are eligible to apply for a Local History Trust Fund grant. For-profit entities are not eligible for funding.
- Grants vary in amount and support activities designed to build organizational capacity or strengthen the organization. Such projects include, but are not limited to, local history education programs, collections care, publications on local history, documentaries, social media platforms and websites.
- Grants are made based on an organization’s plan to advance in one or more areas represented in field-based standards, such as the AASLH Standards and Excellence Program for History Organizations.
- The Kentucky Historical Society oversees the Local History Trust Fund based on its state mandate to be the keeper of Kentucky’s legacy.
Help us spread the word. Encourage your friends and neighbors to make their mark for history and check the box for the Local History Trust Fund on their next tax return, and let organizations know about grant availability. Download the information sheet (PDF).