Download application instructions. (opens as PDF)
Kentucky Historical Society fellowships follow these guidelines:
Ranges from $500 (for one week) to $2,000 (for four weeks)
To assist researchers with travel and living expenses while using KHS collections.
- Independent scholars
- College and university teachers*
- Graduate students
- Scholars working in disciplines related to an aspect of Kentucky history
* State regulation prohibits Kentucky state employees – with the exception of school teachers and university employees – from applying.
KHS reserves the right not to award certain fellowships should extenuating circumstances arise.
A panel of leading historians reviews all applications. Fellows are selected based on the significance of the proposed research and on the anticipated time that research will require in KHS collections.
- Make an informal presentation on their research during their stay at KHS.
- Submit a final narrative report of three to five pages outlining the work they accomplished at KHS within one month of the fellowship’s end.
- Provide KHS with a copy of any publications that result from or are aided by the fellowship.
KHS strongly encourages fellows to submit an article-length manuscript for possible publication in The Register of the Kentucky Historical Society.