Familiarize yourself with the rules.
Learn more about this year’s theme.
Review how student projects are evaluated (select from the options below):
Choose the perfect topic:
Write an effective thesis statement:
Create an impactful project:
- View Exhibit Examples (Google Folders)
- Examine Documentary Examples (YouTube)
- Open Website Examples (Google Doc with links)
- Watch Performance Examples and read Performance Documents (YouTube)
- Read Paper Examples (Google Folder)
Bring NHDKY TO Your Classroom!
Get expert help with everything from getting started to putting the finishing touches on your NHD projects! Contact Ashley Buzzanca to request an in-person or virtual classroom program for your NHDKy students.
- NHDKy 101: Students will learn the ins and outs of NHD, including what to expect from contests, how to create an outstanding project, the importance of quality research, and more! Students and teachers will also be connected to local resources (public librarians, local historical societies, etc.) to build a community of NHD support and excitement!
- Theme Breakdown: Students will work on unpacking the annual NHD theme and brainstorm topic ideas! We suggest booking this experience in the fall to ensure your students think like an NHD scholar early on!
- Project Evaluation: Students will show their progress and get feedback from NHDKy pros! We suggest booking this experience before your Regional Contest!
What is your NHDKy Region?
2023 Contest Dates
- Region 1 – Murray State University, March 11, 2023
- Region 2 – Grayson County, March 10, 2023
- Region 3 – University of Louisville, March 18, 2023
- Region 4 – Eastern Kentucky University, March 4, 2023
- Region 5 – Morehead State University, March 25, 2023
- Region 6 – Southeast Kentucky Community and Technical College, March 24, 2023
- State Competition – University of Kentucky, April 22, 2023