Oral History Mini Grants
The Kentucky Oral History Commission (KOHC) of the Kentucky Historical Society (KHS) is offering ten, $1000 mini grant opportunities to document historically significance topics identified as collecting priorities for the agency. KHS is accepting proposals from oral history practitioners interested in conducting at least eight interviews on the following topics:
- Print journalists and journalism, in honor of KOHC co-founder Al Smith
- Women veterans
- The COVID-19 pandemic
- Food traditions and foodways
- Women in government and politics
- Summer of 2020 protests and other social movements
- Mental health and other healthcare concerns (e.g. the opioid crisis)
This opportunity is open to all Kentucky residents, age 18 and older. Individuals, groups, organizations, and programs may apply. KHS will accept one proposal on one topic per applicant. Eligible interviewers may come from any background, whether local historian, academic, professional, community scholar, etc. Student work is welcome and encouraged. The proposal must demonstrate the applicant understands the Principles for Oral History and Best Practices for Oral History.
Each interview session must run a minimum of 45 minutes. Interviews should be recorded in-person, using social distancing parameters, on a digital, solid-state recorder or a computer with audio recording software and an external microphone. The preferred file format is an uncompressed (i.e. WAV) file, at 96Hz, 24-bit. KHS recognizes that remote interviewing may be necessary for the health and safety of the interviewee and interviewer, and will accept some compromises in recording standards for this project; however no more than three of the proposed interviews should be recorded remotely at a lesser audio standard. All interviews will be archived at KHS.
Interviews may be completed and submitted at any time during the grant cycle of July 2021 – April 2022, but must meet the following schedule. Failure to meet interim and final deadlines will result in ineligibility for other KHS grant programs.
- May 28, 2021 – Proposal submission deadline
- June 4, 2021 – Notification of proposal selection
- June 11, 2021 – Project agreement form due, grant funds remitted
- Dec. 17, 2021 – Four interviews with release forms due
- April 22, 2022 – Remaining interviews and release forms due