National History Day in Kentucky Resources
The NHD (National History Day) website has resources for teachers and students, including the official contest rule book.
KHS also has created and compiled the following resources for people involved with National History Day in Kentucky. Direct questions about these resources or any thing else about NHDKy to Jennifer Disponette, at 502-782-8092.
- Sample Classroom Calendar (Download PDF)
- Tips for Creating Your Classroom Calendar (Download PDF)
- Suggested Pacing and Assignments (Download PDF)
- Sample KY Topic and Resources List (Download PDF)
- Do I Have a Good Topic? (Download PDF)
- Narrowing a Topic (Download PDF)
- Narrowing a Topic: Example (Download PDF)
- History Day Topic: Getting Specific (Download PDF)
- Classroom Activity: Understanding and Writing a Thesis Statement (Download PDF)
Putting It All Together
- Rules Verification Forms (find the most current versions at nhd.org)
- Sample Grading Rubric (Download PDF)
- Sample Judges Evaluation Forms (Download PDF) (find the most current versions at nhd.org)
- Starting in late February and continuing through March, the Kentucky Historical Society hosts regional contests for NHDKy participants
- The top one-third of projects in each division and category at regional contests advance to the state competition that takes place in April
- The top two projects in the junior and senior divisions for each category are eligible to participate in the National NHD contest that draws participants from each state and throughout the world.
At each level, volunteer judges follow rubrics, which the national NHD program designed to score student projects. Judging consists of project content and presentation evaluation and an interview with students (the interview is important to help judges understand and evaluate the project, but it is not judged).
Regional contests are open to all NHDKy participants. National competition is open only to NHDKy participants in grades 6 through 12.
FAQs (PDF document)
Students must compete in their region to qualify for state.
Region 2: Grayson County, March 26. | 2019 Results Opens as PDF.
Participant Registration Fees: Regional Contests: $10 | State Contest: $15
Participants and judges register here.
Learn more here about being a judge. Hear what people like you have to say.