Kentucky Junior Historical Society
History is fun when students approach it with a group, get involved in research and discovery, put their hands on historic objects and go out into the community to learn history close-to-home.
The Kentucky Junior Historical Society allows all of these opportunities.
Kentucky Junior Historical Society Membership
KJHS is open to any Kentucky student in grades K-12. Annual dues are $10 per student.
KJHS Membership Benefits
- Club T-shirt
- Discounted registration for 2018 KJHS conference Nov. 16 in Frankfort (clubs must be started and have paid dues before Nov. 1 to receive this benefit). Get more information here.
- Teacher handbook with classroom activities
New Membership Benefits for the 2018-19 School Year
- A free KHS education staff visit to conduct one of the following workshops. Each workshop will include interaction with teaching artifacts:
- The First Kentuckians. Your students will discover the people who lived in Kentucky before European settlement. Students will experiment with American Indian crafts and foodways, test their hunting skills and play popular games.
- Frontier Fun and Games. Students will explore the creative ways frontier kids entertained themselves. In true pioneer spirit, they will repurpose existing materials to make simple toys and games.
- Spooky Kentucky. Students will learn about Kentucky legends and folktales and how their ancestors honored the dead. Then they will create their own spooky object.
- Free member admission to KHS sites: Thomas D. Clark Center for Kentucky History, Old State Capitol and Kentucky Military History Museum.
- One free school field trip to the Thomas D. Clark Center for Kentucky History (typically costs $5 per student).
For more information, contact Claire Gwaltney by email or call 502-782-8059.
Please use this form to register your club. Once you register, KHS will mail an invoice to the attention of the club’s primary sponsor. Payment is due upon receipt of the invoice. We accept PO, check, cash or credit card.
KJHS Quick Facts
- Kentucky students in grades K-12 are eligible to join.
- Annual membership costs $10 per student.
- Membership benefits include a free T-shirt, discounts to attend the KJHS annual conference, free KHS education staff visits and workshops and a teacher’s handbook with classroom activities.
- You decide how frequently to meet, how to conduct your meetings and your governance system.