Illuminating History: Tintype Portraits With River City Tintype
Title: Illuminating History: Tintype Portraits With River City Tintype
Start: November 13, 2021, 10:00 am
End: November 13, 2021, 5:00 pm
Address: 100 Broadway St. Frankfort, KY 40601
Do you love looking at old photos and wish you could re-create their look? Then this experience is for you! Join KHS in celebrating our new exhibit, Illuminations, with a one-of-a-kind, heirloom tintype portrait. River City Tintype will be on hand Saturday, November 13, creating these beautiful portraits with metal and silver, using a method popular in the 19th century. Your unique tintype will make a wonderful holiday gift for loved ones – or a keepsake to enjoy yourself!
While you are here at the History Center, be sure to check out Illuminations and enjoy a select display of historic tintypes from the KHS Collection. Get some inspiration for your own portrait!
Tintype portrait sessions must be reserved in advance.
- Please note, tintype portrait sessions are ideal for individuals and couples. Groups of more than 3 are not recommended because some subjects may be out of focus.
- All portraits will be taken outdoors in the Cralle-Day Garden at the Kentucky History Center.
- Finished portraits, including a protective wax coating, will be available for pickup at KHS as of Tuesday, November 16, or can be mailed for an additional $5 fee. (Participants will be able to view the image at the end of their portrait session.)
- Recommended Attire: The tintype process interprets colors and values differently than traditional black-and-white film. Bright blue appears as bright white or grey, and even tattoos may disappear on one’s skin. Reds, greens, and some yellows appear dark. Please avoid wearing all black or all white. Props, patterns, hats, and textures are especially fun for tintype, so please consider this as you plan your outfit! Keep in mind that text will appear as a mirror-image in the final photograph. Some eyeglasses appear as sunglasses in this process, so remove your glasses prior to the photograph is encouraged.
- For more tips on what to expect during your tintype portrait session, please click here.
Cost: $8 per person at the time of registration plus $60 per session that is paid to the artist the day of. Each session includes one 4in x 5in tintype. Reserve your spot by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.