Historical Markers in Todd, Clark, and Christian Counties Dedicated in December
Historical markers were dedicated in three Kentucky counties on Friday, December 5, 2020. These included a marker on the Trenton School in Todd County, to Mary Edmunds Bronaugh in Christian County, and for the Winchester Downtown Commercial District in Clark County.
Marker number 2625 featuring The Trenton School is located at 250 South Main Street in Trenton, Todd County, Kentucky. The Trenton School was built in 1920 and was used until the school merged with Todd County Schools in 1957. The building that housed the Trenton School was purchased by the Trenton Community Center, Inc. to preserve for future use for the Trenton community.
Marker text: Trenton School was built in 1920 through the initiative of the citizens of Trenton, Kentucky. Funds were donated and the Board of Trustees personally borrowed the balance of the funds needed to complete construction of the school. Students from the first to the 12th grades were educated at the school. By 1935, the entire $42,000 debt was retired. In 1957, Trenton School merged with Todd County Schools and Trenton High School was closed. The school building continued as Trenton Elementary School until a county consolidation of all elementary schools in 1988. Trenton Community Center, Inc. purchased the school and gym in 1988 to preserve it for future generations of Trenton citizens.
Neighboring county, Christian, dedicated Marker number 2626, recognizing Mary Edmunds Bronaugh. The marker is located at the Christian County Justice Center, Hopkinsville, Kentucky. Bronaugh was admitted to the KY bar, a member of the KY Equal Rights Association, a suffragist, and the first president of the KY League of Women Voters. She fought to secure the ratification of the 19th amendment.
Marker text: Born in Hopkinsville in 1885, she was admitted to the KY Bar and was a member of the KY Equal Rights Assoc. As a suffragist and the first president of the KY League of Women Voters, she fought to secure the ratification of the 19th Amendment. She was an officer in the KY Fed. of Business and Professional Women. Bronaugh died in 1973 and is buried at Riverside Cemetery.
In Central Kentucky, Marker number 2621 highlighting Winchester’s downtown commercial district was also dedicated. This marker is located on North Main Street in Winchester, Clark County, Kentucky. The Downtown Commercial District buildings were erected between 1880-1900. With over 100 historic structures, Winchester’s commercial district contains a collection of late 19th-century architecture. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.
Marker text: Winchester, KY was established in 1793. The city underwent a boom with the arrival of railroads and became a major banking and commercial center. Winchester’s location as the “Gateway to the Mountains” of Eastern KY was instrumental in the city’s business and cultural growth. The commercial district’s buildings were erected between 1880-1900. With over 100 historic structures, Winchester’s commercial district contains a collection of late 19th-century architecture. The district extends along Main St. from Washington St. to Ogden Ct. and includes many landmarks, such as the Leeds Theatre and City Hall. It was listed on the Nat’l Register of Historic Places in 1982. Presented by the Beer Cheese Festival.
For more information on the KHS Historical Marker Program, click here. Also, visit the App Store or Google Play to download the Explore Kentucky History app on your mobile device. The app shows the locations of historical markers across the Commonwealth and includes tours and additional historical content.