The Teacher Advisory Committee (TAC) advises the Kentucky Historical Society on all KHS educational programming to help make it relevant for Kentucky students and teachers. TAC members do this by drawing on both their classroom experiences and their knowledge of Kentucky’s current and future standards. TAC is strictly an advisory group. While KHS will consider all recommendations, it is not required to use TAC member suggestions.
- TAC has 11 members who may be public or nonpublic school teachers, home school parents or come from educational cooperatives, universities and colleges, school district administration and the Kentucky Department of Education.
- KHS seeks to have a committee made up of at least one representative from the elementary, middle and high school levels and represent each of the eight Kentucky Junior Historical Society districts (opens as PDF).
- Membership is for a minimum of one year and a maximum of three years.
- Members will receive one free KHS membership, lunch at meetings and travel reimbursements for meeting attendance.
TAC Member Responsibilities
- Travel to Frankfort for meetings twice a year (typically once in the fall and once in the spring). Meetings are at the Thomas D. Clark Center for Kentucky History.
- Inform KHS staff of new initiatives and movements within their educational communities and represent their educational communities to KHS staff.
- Provide advice on existing and new KHS programs.
- Advocate on behalf of KHS within their educational communities.
- Prepare for meetings by reading materials provided.