The Old State Capitol is the third building to have served as Kentucky’s seat of government. Gideon Shryock, the state’s first native-born professionally trained architect, designed this Greek Revival building as a young man. Between 1830 and 1910, it saw many lively political debates as lawmakers grappled with issues of the day, including slavery and war.
After its use as State Capitol, the building served as headquarters of the Kentucky Historical Society (1920-ca. 1968). Today, restored to the way it looked in the early 1850s, it houses the exhibit “Great Revivals: Kentucky Decorative Arts Treasures” and is open for tours through KHS.
300 W. Broadway | Frankfort, KY 40601