KHS to Dedicate Historical Marker Honoring StonetownFRANKFORT, Ky. (Aug. 23, 2012)
— The Kentucky Historical Society (KHS) will dedicate a historical marker to honor the African-American settlement of Stonetown at 2 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 9, at 176 Stonetown Road in Stamping Ground.
In the 1780s, slaves were brought to Scott County with their white owners as part of the “traveling church,” a Baptist exodus from Virginia. After the Civil War, they purchased land and settled in Stonetown. The community had a school and two churches, one of which, the First Baptist Church, is still open today. In 1877, many former slaves moved farther west to newly formed Nicodemus, Kan.
This marker dedication is part of a weekend-long celebration of the 135th anniversary of that migration from Kentucky to Kansas. Descendants of those early settlers; Angela Bates, executive director of the Nicodemus Historical Society; and Kent Whitworth, executive director of the Kentucky Historical Society, will be in attendance.
The Kentucky Historical Marker Program, administered by KHS in cooperation with the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet, commemorates historical sites, events and personalities throughout the state. Through the program, the wealth of Kentucky history is made accessible to the public on markers along the state’s roadways. The markers are on-the-spot history lessons that add drama and interest to the countryside for Kentuckians as well as tourists. They are also available in an online database at www.history.ky.gov/markers
For more information, contact Becky Riddle, Kentucky Historical Marker program coordinator, at 502-564-1792, ext. 4474 or firstname.lastname@example.org
.Read all news