KHS to Dedicate Historical Marker in LouisvilleFRANKFORT, Ky. (June 11, 2012)
— The Kentucky Historical Society (KHS) will dedicate a historical marker to honor Southern Parkway and Iroquois Park, at 2 p.m. Sunday, June 24, at the corner of Southern Parkway and New Cut Road in Louisville.
Southern Parkway was completed June 14, 1893. Originally named Grand Boulevard, it was constructed of packed dirt and watered daily to keep down dust. It was flanked to the east with a bicycle path and to the west with a bridle path. Southern Parkway was intended to connect the growing city of Louisville with Iroquois Park to south.
Iroquois Park, a 725-acre park designed by Frederick Law Olmsted, is the largest in the Louisville Olmsted Park system. It was originally named Jacob’s Park, after Louisville Mayor Charles Jacob.
The Kentucky Historical Marker Program, administered by KHS in cooperation with the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet, commemorates historical sites, events and personalities throughout the state. Through the program, the wealth of Kentucky history is made accessible to the public on markers along the state’s roadways. The markers are on-the-spot history lessons that add drama and interest to the countryside for Kentuckians as well as tourists. They are also available in an online database at www.history.ky.gov/markers
For more information, contact Becky Riddle, Kentucky Historical Marker program coordinator, at 502-564-1792, ext. 4474 or email@example.com
.Read all news