Garth School was the first public school in Kentucky to be built under the holding company plan. Bond sales paid for construction costs. Garth opened in 1926 on the site of the former Georgetown Female Seminary. The new school building incorporated bricks from the seminary. The local board of education received title to the property in 1943.
Edwin Claude Garth was the school’s namesake. Having died in a car accident, Garth’s parents contributed $10,000 in his memory toward the $25,000 land purchase for the school. The school served grades 1 through 12 until 1958. After the city and county school systems merged in 1974, Garth became an elementary school. The six-acre campus serves as a city park when school is not in session.
The Georgetown City Council and Scott County Fiscal Court jointly sponsor the marker.