The Kentucky Historical Society (KHS) and members of the Midway Presbyterian Church dedicated a new historical marker on Saturday, Aug. 13. This year, the church is celebrating being in its present location of 103 N. Turner St., for 170 years.
The marker notes that a congregation, Harmony New School Church, met near the current site in 1841. Those associated with it included the Rev. John Fee, founder of Berea College, and Edward Troye, a noted equine artist. In 1846, the Lexington & Ohio Railroad donated the current site and the church was renamed Midway Presbyterian.
The historical marker also documents three church buildings, including an original frame building, and a brick church built in 1870 and rebuilt in 1911 following a fire. The building is considered a “fine example” of Gothic Revival architecture. A 1949 addition was replaced with a new fellowship hall in 2013.
The marker also notes the property included Midway’s early school and the town’s original cemetery, which was moved in the 1890s.
Midway Presbyterian Church is part of the Midway Historic District, which was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978.
More than 2,400 historical markers statewide tell Kentucky’s history. KHS administers the Kentucky Historical Marker Program in cooperation with the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet.